Dog training is critical to a long, happy and safe relationship with your canine friend. Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon for dog owners to become frustrated when trying to train their dogs. Dog training is most effective when both you and your dog are enjoying yourselves and having fun!
We strongly believe that positive dog training is the best solution for the best results. To keep things simple, positive dog training rewards dogs for good behavior instead of punishing for bad behavior.
Wednesdays from 6pm-7pm
Cost per six week session:
$45 for dogs adopted from Pet Pal
$75 for all others
This six week series will help you build a relationship with your dog as you both learn “the basics” using positive training techniques. In this class, you will learn how to teach your dog the skills and manners he/she needs to be a happy, well adjusted member of your family. These skills will include:
- Sit, Down, Stay
- Watch Me (paying attention)
- Loose leash walking
- Leave It
- Polite Greeting
There will also be opportunities to address specific behavior problems that you may be experiencing.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
All group dog training classes have a minimum enrollment of three students. If a class does not reach the minimum number of students the start date will be postponed. Students enrolled in the class will receive a 24 hour notice of the postponed class and be given the option to enroll in an alternate start date or receive a refund.
All registration fees are non-refundable unless Pet Pal Animal Shelter cancels a class. Please contact us if you would like to observe our training classes prior to enrolling your dog into the program.
Make Up Policy
While we understand that conflicts do happen, classes are a six week commitment and we ask you to carefully check your calendar prior to registering for your class. Make ups will only be granted if the instructor’s schedule allows.
- Rabies: All dogs over four months must have a current rabies vaccine and license, according to Pinellas County code.
- DA2PP (or DHPP):
- All dogs less than 16 weeks of age must have started with their initial puppy vaccination series, as recommended by their veterinarian, and must have completed at least two of the DHPP series prior to starting classes. The requirement for at least two vaccines establishes adequate, but not complete, immunity to common viral diseases, so please continue with your veterinarian’s recommendations (at least 3-4 vaccine visits).
- All puppies over 16 weeks of age must have completed 2 vaccine visits with their veterinarian to consider them adequately protected.
- Vaccine visits for DA2PP are usually 3-4 weeks apart, based on your veterinarian’s protocols.
- Bordetella: Vaccination is required for all dogs prior to participation in training classes.
Please bring copies of your vaccine records to the first class. We will return the copies to you.
If behavior issues are discovered during the class and the instructor determines that it is in everyone’s best interest, we will transfer your credit to a private session. We welcome all friendly spayed and/or neutered dogs in our classes.
Children in Class
Children and other family members are welcome to attend training classes. Please explain to your children that all dogs are not socialized, friendly, or comfortable around children. They should not approach or pet the other dogs in class unless invited to do so.
My name is Pat McCarthy and I’m here to help. I was born and raised in Saint Petersburg Florida. Married with 2 adult sons. I have had a love for dogs my whole life. I always had a great desire to volunteer at an animal rescue or shelter and roughly 6 years ago I became involved with the SPCA of Tampa Bay. I became a Certified Dog Trainer (A.P.D.T. Member, C.L.A.S.S. Evaluator, AKC CGC Evaluator/AKC Star Puppy) and have continued to volunteer my time at the shelter but have decided to take it to another level and start my own dog training business. I am happy to see my clients achieve a great relationship with their dogs. I look forward to helping you and your dog enjoy a balanced life together.